Monday, December 7, 2009

What is it like to be a bat?

OK so, the other day, Royal bought me some books, "50 philosophy ideas you really need to know", and "The atheist's bible" (I'm not actually an atheist, but not sure if my actual beliefs could be categorized as an actual religion..) Anyways, I found this in the philosophy book:

'...imagine that one has webbing on one's arms, which enables on eto fly around at dusk and dawn catching insects in one's mouth; that one has very poor vision, and perceives the surrounding world by a system of reflected high-frequency sound signals; and that one spends the day hanging upside down by one's feet in an attic. In so far as I can imagine this (which is not very far), it tells me only what it would be like for me to behave as a bat behaves. But that is not the question. I want to know what it is like for a bat to be a bat.'

Take a moment and read it again if you have to, now ponder that long paragraph of a statement, and think... What the fuck? what would it be like to be a bat really? what would it be like to be any other creature, rather than a human being. What would it be like to be a human of slight difference from your own self? Mind blowing isn't it?

And as always, to end this post, here are some quotes:

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, Religion is answers that may never be questioned"
-- Unknown Author

"So many gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind, while just the art of being kind, Is all the sad world needs."
-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is a ridiculous one."
-- Voltaire

"Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
-- T.S. Eliot

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature"
-- Frank Lloyd Wright

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction."
-- Mark Twain

"My Imagination is a Monastery and I am its Monk.
-- John Keats

3 comments:

  1. Wonder if a bat wonders what it's like to be human?
    I think it would be kind of better to be animal like, a bird.
    They fly free. The shit humans have to live with they don't. sounds like one good kine life to me eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this is also true, how crazy would it be to not deal with all kinds of human stuff such as economy, and war, but would it be worth giving up all your human-ness? Like clothes first of all (birds don't wear them last time i checked), and TV and stoves and modern convenience? I don't know I can ramble about this stuff all day, it's mind boggling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who cares about clothes, I don't really see the point in wearing them now. there's boy and there's girl and we all know what we look like nude lol

    modern things, when I look at allot of the things I have, I think I need them. but if I walked in my house one day and I only had the things I really Needed, it wouldn't really bother me. all I need is food and water.... and my bed would be nice to keep...

    ReplyDelete